Thursday, September 12, 2013

So much to read, So little time

Recently, I added Y Combinator's Hacker News to my RSS feed. I quickly learned that there were more interesting articles posted than I could possibly read. My main purpose in subscribing to Hacker News was to become a better programmer, yet I found myself reading articles on how to run a successful startup and how healthy eating is an engineering problem. Later, I decided to just do a Google search for "how to become a better programmer." In the first few hits I found an article with a list of specific suggestions and measurable tasks that I could do. Most of the time, more information (like from Hacker News) just takes our focus away from actually doing anything worthwhile. I could continue reading articles about becoming a better programmer, but until I actually implement the ideas in the articles, I am just wasting my time.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that article. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting direct answers to our questions is certainly a powerful tool, and one I exploit every day. But there is tremendous value in stumbling upon information we didn't think was relevant, and I certainly don't think you were wasting your time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The benift of reading these articles depends on you goal. While you might not be gorwing as a programer, you are furnishing your scale with counterbalances so that you can weigh opinions and new ideas without tipping to back and forth between extreemes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that information can be useful. The problem comes when so much time is spent consuming information that we never act.

      Delete