Thursday, November 7, 2013

Cheer up your friend with a simple text

Since we all know that technology can be used for both good and bad, I thought I would share a way that was recently added to the good list: NowCheerUp.Me. This site's slogan is "Have a Hug on Us." Using this site you can send a random friendly note anonymously to any mobile phone number... for free! Here are two samples:
"What do Iron Man, The Doctor, Indiana Jones, and Marty McFly have in common? You're more awesome than all of them."
"You are loved by so many people. You're a beautiful, wonderful, amazing human being. Seriously – don't stop being brilliant."
So, go and do something good with technology!

11 comments:

  1. If you really want to do something talk to Keith. He already had one set up that texted people a simple act of service challenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting idea, but the cynical person in me thinks it wouldn't take much for someone to feel terrorized by people continually sending someone those texts. Then again that may speak more about me than the idea, which is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great idea! It would be nice to have these texts from time to time, but I don't know if I would actually take the effort to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, judging from that sample texts, the pre-defined messages may feel cheesy/canned enough to lessen the impact of the nice thought somewhat. Unfortunately, I think writing truly genuine compliments is something beyond a computer's ability. I really like the idea of this service, though - definitely a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the cheesiness is what makes it fun an silly. Obviously you shouldn't use this service to replace thoughtfulness in your social interactions. It can just be a fun and nice thing to do from time to time. Not to mention that the messages sometimes make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, it just makes me laugh: "Over seven billion people in the world - and you're in the top one percent of awesome. Fact."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are funny messages that it sends

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I think it's fun and cute etc, I think my first reaction to one of those would be "Seriously? Which of my friends gave my phone number to this random website?" >_>

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is better than the site that lets you send poo to people's houses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intresting site. I wonder if they store the numbers though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. On their site they wrote: "NowCheerUp.Me does not store your number. We won't keep or sell your details, send you spam, or harvest your soul for food."

    ReplyDelete