Tuesday, October 8, 2013

LDS General Conference and Twitter

This past weekend was the General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Both this conference and the last conference that was held in April, I followed what people were saying about it on Twitter (hashtag: #LDSconf). There was both good and bad about the experience.

It was fun to see that it was trending nationwide (and even worldwide at one point). Social media is a great way for people to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Church (both the organization and individuals) have been doing a great job of using technology to this end. It was fun to hear what people had to say – some of it very insightful.

I was disappointed, however, that most people were just tweeting quotes from the conference or commenting on silly things like what color tie a specific speaker was wearing. I was also disappointed that some people were using the forum to share other agendas.

Lastly, while I did learn some from following the conference, I probably would have been better off just paying closer attention to the speakers. I had a hard time listening to the conference and reading the conversation online. I know I missed a lot of both and I am glad I can review them both after the fact.

Technology always offers a trade-off. For example, with mobile phones we can be contacted anywhere and anytime at the cost of having to be in touch all the time. In this case, it is great that we can share the Gospel online to everyone willing to read it as well as hear what others have to say, but the cost is that we also get some junk and maybe get distracted from the hearing the message fully ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment